Sunday, February 8, 2015

Peace in the Midst of the Storm

I really love a big snow storm like the 10 inches that we had this past weekend. Yes, you read that correctly, I love it when we get a storm with a significant amount of snow. Despite the work it takes to clean the driveway and walks there is just something about a good snow storm.

I know there are many that don’t agree with me. Some of you have jobs where you have to work outside in the elements which makes your job tougher. I am grateful for the hard work of our police officers, road crews and other service workers that keep us safe in the midst of a storm. I’m also aware that a storm can cause extra strain on agencies that help low income families and those without adequate housing. I am grateful for a warm house where I can enjoy the beauty of the snow through my window without having to worry about having enough money to pay this month’s heating bill.

Some agree with me that the snow is pretty but then also make the point that two inches of snow is just as pretty as ten but a lot less work. This is true but what I like about a big snow storm is the peace that comes with the storm. You see, a big snow storm makes us all stop our normal routines. Instead of running two or three errands after work or driving the kids from this event to that one, we stay home. In the midst of a storm, we get a reprieve from the expectation that we can do all and be all. We get a moment of peace.

When I opened the back door last Sunday morning to let our dog outside, I was struck not just with the beauty of the fresh snow but also by the sound. The blanket of fresh snow had made an acoustical foam over nature. It was so quiet and peaceful, I was in awe of God’s presence in the stillness. In John 14:27a Jesus said to his disciples “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives.” The world gives us many demands, brokenness and pain but God, through the gift of the resurrected Jesus, gives us peace.

Sometimes life is going full speed and we feel like we’re in the midst of a storm. It is in those times that we have a hard time feeling God’s peace. The big snow storm helped me to see, hear and know the peace of Jesus Christ. But we don’t need a big snow storm to know God’s peace. God has given us peace through the gift of Jesus Christ, crucified and risen. If you want to know more about “the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding” and are not already active in a church then come visit Good Shepherd Lutheran Church for Sunday morning worship at 9:00 am or visit one of the many vibrant churches in our community. There is peace in the midst of the storm.


Pastor Kristine Dohrmann
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Knoxville

No comments:

Post a Comment