Thursday, February 6, 2014

That Song in My Head (and Heart)

In my congregation the hymns for Sunday worship are selected by the worship team. It's interesting to see how a hymn that is one person’s favorite is despised by another person. I admit that I have my favorites but I’m also willing to try new hymns as long as they’re something that I can sing. My grandmother had a beautiful singing voice but for whatever reason that gene did not get passed on to me. Don’t get me wrong, I love to sing but unfortunately I’m often off-key or miss the beat. It’s a lot better for everyone involved if I keep the belting out of my favorite songs to times when I’m alone in my car or home.

In scripture we have the book of Psalms, a collection of prayers and songs composed throughout Israel’s history. According to my HarperCollins Bible, “’Psalms,’ is derived from a Greek term meaning ‘song.’ The Hebrew title of the book, Tehillim, means more specifically ‘hymns’ or ‘songs of praise.’" (page 797) I think of music and songs as something that God has placed in our heads and on our hearts. I am grateful for the composers and song writers that have created and continue to write just the perfect masterpiece.

I’ve always enjoyed listening to music. I remember my sister and I playing our Beach Boys 8-track tape so much that it just finally wore out. The best Christmas present I received as a teenager was my stereo that included not only the ability to listen to my favorite radio station but I could play records, 8 track and cassette tapes!

Me with my three children the day of my commissioning
 service at Campbell University Divinity School
September 2005 
Just as the book of Psalms is full of a variety of emotions and is associated with a certain period of time in Israel’s history, there are specific songs that I associate with particular times in my life. For example, I cannot hear “Born to Be Wild” or “Stairway to Heaven” without thinking about my Uncle Reese who was killed on his Harley Davidson when I was in junior high. Today I saw a picture on Twitter that Campbell Divinity School commissioned a new group of students. I was reminded of the day that I received my Divinity School pin and sang along with the other students “Here I Am Lord.” When I spent my Lutheran Year of Seminary 350 miles away from my husband and kids, I played Third Day’s Revelation CD over and over. Every single song on that album spoke to me as I wrestled with my unworthiness to be called as a pastor.

As I begin my 9th month of life as a pastor, I have been feeling very blessed, pure joy at the vocation to which I have been called and the congregation that I serve. I know that life is a roller coaster and I’m sure the feelings of doubt and unworthiness will soon try and slip their way back to the forefront. When that happens I hope to be reminded of a song that God has placed in my head and on my heart, Jason Gray’s Remind Me Who I Am




What song or hymn is speaking to you at this point in your life? Is there a song that is that “one” that you associate with a specific joy or difficult time in your life? What song has God placed in your head and on your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment